ON PADMASANA


“The yogi should remain in a clean place on a seat that is neither too high, nor too low and covered with kusa grass, a deerskin and a cloth.

Making his mind focused and controlling all the activities of his senses, he should sit on that seat and engage in yoga for the sake of self-purification.”
Bhagavad-Gita-6:11,12

 Sthira-sukam asanam – Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras 2.46

Yoga is the realization that the perceived limited jiva[1] is nothing else than the absolute atma[2]. The two philosophical pillars of yoga as the Bhagavad Gita and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali give a very concise and short description of the ideal asanam[3]: the latter explain that yoga can be achieved in a position which is steady and then becomes comfortable when in the Gita yoga can be done seated with the back straight and refraining from the senses.
 
The Buddha, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna and even the mahayogi Shiva are engaged in the position of the lotus—padmasana. It seems that the first and most important posture to learn while practicing yoga is exactly this one. 



Is it really fundamental to achieve this posture if we practice yoga?
A sound NO is my straight answer, still my own opinion.

Like in life, the easiest things are sometimes the most difficult one. Padmasana is thus the best teacher: despite it seems so easy and comfortable; this is one of the most advanced positions in yoga. To achieve this posture the practitioner needs to have good joints flexibility, especially ankles, knees and hips. Knees and ankles are hinge type of joint, permitting only flexion and extension of the relative limbs, the hips are balls and socket kind of joints, allowing a motion of 360 degrees. In the ancient India and in the rest of the Asian continent people adopt squatting positions more often and it was preferred a seat on the floor to a chair, this allows the joints to remain more flexible. In this new western lifestyle, India included, people are using chairs from a early age, sitting on chairs from schools, university to work on chairs the ligaments at the level of the hips gets harder and harder, becoming ossified in extremes cases. Practicing other asanas will eventually help to improve the flexibility of whole the body joints so from time to time it is suggested to try padmasana until the final stage of the position is reached. Harda padmasana is a good middle way to train the body to get used to the final position or can be a good variation of it. Simply do not force this position, even after years of practice if it creates a knees pain lasting even after the state of the asana avoid doing it. Do not worry, no need of padmasana for attaining realization. 



During these six-week long training at Atmavikasa, Mysore, Acharya Venkathesha suggested a very interesting new way of approaching padmasana: from straight legs, taking the big toe the right knee is bent and right foot placed well over the left tight. Then left foot moves close to the right knee for after being placed over the right tight. (On the picture above I am demonstrating the classical way to perform it and on the picture below acharya Venkatesha’s method).
This is a precious and interesting new approach to the position and I wish I knew it earlier as to give a variation for the students suffering from ankles pain.



I have chosen to talk about this position over the many done so far in class because it is the first one I learned at a young age exactly by looking at the picture of Gauthama the Buddha. In all the moments I was finding my mind fluctuating, this position was grounding me back. Before fighting competition, few minutes of this position gave me clarity and normalize my breathing, allowing me to be very conscious, in the moment and very intuitive. Since I was a kid I sat at the dinner table in padmasana because I found easy to digest my food and even more comfortable—my father hated it but never could convince me that a ‘normal’ seat in the chair was better. Padmasana is the way I love to sit while reading and I found it the best position to meditate as it keeps my lower back straight and firm—as I swing a lot during my meditation, this position gives me strong foundation for my practice. Krishnamacharya, in his Yoga Makaranda claimed that this asana would cure all diseases related to lower abdomen.[4] He says there are fourteen vinyasa in order to achieve and exit this asana, the eight one is the state of the asana. As we see there are seven vinyasa before and five after the state of the asana hence remember that it is equally important to dedicate time and attention in the way we exit from the posture, most injuries happen while carelessly rushing out of a posture. Just go slow, practice and let your passion grow along with it.

OM


[1] common soul
[2] ishvara, the pranava or absolute soul
[3] ­asanam etymologically means seat, implying where the yogi was seated. This term was after used to describe the various poses done in yoga practice.
[4] Krishnamacharya Tirumalai, “Yoga Makaranda”, pp111

Comments

Popular Posts